First, you need to have access to the cross-compiling tools. The Android source code provides them in folder
1. Set the path to include the pre-build toolchain
# export PATH=
2. Set the Kernel config file. In this case, we are compiling for the ARM emulator (armv7).
# make ARCH=arm goldfish_armv7_defconfig
3. Run make
4. Change var ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT
# export ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=
5. Run the emulator
- The option CONFIG_MODULES is NOT enabled by default. If you want to insert modules into the kernel, make sure to set CONFIG_MODULES;
- Android emulator does NOT work with Kernels > 2.6.X So, make sure to use the proper Kernel. For devices, any support Kernel will work.